Find me on the "second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.”


"All the world is made of faith, and trust, and pixie dust." - J.M. Barrie.

 
It would be nonsensical if I started an instagram account (@lauras_library) and a blog dedicated, essentially, to my love for books without starting with the very basics: my absolutely, most favouritest (that's a word, alright?) story ever told: "Peter Pan". 


To some people that may seem a little much, especially given that it is a children's story and what-not. First of all, that nonsense of demeaning literature purely based on the reader it is aimed especifically towards to is insane. If you feel any superior to other people just because they like reading fairy tales: you, my friend...are not my friend, probably.
However, it is not only that I despise these kinds of attitudes, but you are purely just a dummy. The idea of literature and story-telling (and by extense any form of art) being of any more or less value beause of their audience is incredibly modern (and stupid). To those who feel pressured about their age and the things they like, I say: read/listen/watch/dance what makes you feel happy you're alive. Tags are made for production companies and they should not even be a thing here either, in my opinion. So, let simple-minded people still draw their own conclusions and you go and learn about all sorts of things and experience all sorts of art: soon enough we shall rule the world with all our wisdom, and if we don't: at least, we'll have great memories to look back onto.

So, back to my darling Peter: what can I say about this boy's story aside from the fact that I am utterly obsessed with it? It is very probably linked to my refusal of growing up while growing up and my desire to retrace those steps now that I find myself having to do "adult" (as in "boring", not as in "sexy") things. The idea of Neverland is probably a paradise to many of us, although let's not talk about the incredibly poor representation of Native Americans (especially in the Disney version, I haven't dared watched the latest one: I'm too fragile, I won't take it well). 

But, before anything else, what enchanted me about Peter's story is the way in which the world of innocence is portrayed so beautifully. In fact, not only is innocence shown as a beautiful quality throughout the story, the whole of Neverland is pure bliss. And, picturing innocence as such a beautiful trait is so rare in all art forms. Barrie's depiction is a simply stunning portrayal of the beauty that lies within naïvety. 


And, how could someone who enjoys reading as much as writing ignore the power that story-telling is given in this book? Setting an example for many other modern tales, Barrie emphasizes the richness of soul and mind that story-telling helps nourish.


Honestly, this is just a beautiful book that anyone at any age would surely smile widely and pathetically hold back tears as they read it. So, in case you haven't, I suggest you find yourself a copy and read it to wind down or cheer up when you need it. 

 I hope you have a wonderful day! 



Phone case by Ringskulls on @redbubble .
Album: Florence & The Machine - Lungs.
My copy of Peter Pan: 2011 Barnes & Noble edition.

Comments

Popular Posts