Love & Misadventures


The Keeper

You were like a dream,
I wish I hadn't 
slept through.

Within it I fell deeper,
than your heart would
care to let you.

I thought you were a keeper,
I wish I could
have kept you.

-Lang Leav


Right above lie the words to my favourite poem out of Lang Leav's "Love & Misadventure". Perhaps because I wanted to have spoken those words, or perhaps because I wish I could've seen heartbreak as something so poetical and almost blissful as sleep: it really stuck with me. 

However, maybe because this was her first piblished work and she may have still had to learn as grow as an author, while reading it, I felt like I couldn't fully love it (?). Okay, don't get me wrong. I'll explain myself.

I wanted to LOVE this book so much, I think it backfired on itself and ended up becoming (kind of) very disappointing. The words seemed poetic. The structures were beautifully kept. The whole aesthetic of the piece completely appealed to me. And I was in SUCH a mood to get my hands on some poetry after some time without it.
But, I just felt like "um, well. Okay."

Am I going crazy? Maybe. 

I really want to believe that Leav's work has grown throughout her career and so, I believe I will someday soon read one of her more recent works. But, and believe me when I say that I absolutely despise giving this book a negative review, I feel it necessary to put out there: I didn't feel like this was poetry. And I follow Leav's social media, so it's got me quite confused how someone whose posts I love so much, has disappointed me so.

If you've read any of her more recent books, please do tell me which one I should look forward to, because I do want to give her another chance.

I just think, if you're wondering whether you should buy this or a different poetry book (by her' or not), choose a different one. 

It'd be unfair to say that the entire book was completely lacking, because there were a couple of poems that did make you feel what love and misadventure feel like. But, generally: the words seem forced, the tone seems too childlike and the themes feel stereotypical.

I'm genuinely sorry, Miss Leav. I'm sure I'll find your recent pieces far more enjoyable and I hope you continue creating as you've always had. And your craft blossoms as beautifully as I feel like it has been. Thank you for continuing on.

Thanks for reading and I hope to see you soon.

If you want more reading material until my next post, you can check out the magazine I created with my friend through this link:

 https://view.publitas.com/drima-magazine/drima-1st/

Any support will be greatly appreciated! 

Have a wonderful day!




My copy of  "Love & Misadventure" is the 2013 edition from Andrews McMeel Publishing.
The vintage toy is from a local vintage store.
 

Comments