"The Rose of the Galaxy"


"People always measured war in terms of the numbers dead.
Maybe they should measure it in terms of the people left behind."

Oh my, Vodhan. 

Have I been wanting to do a review on Rhoda Belleza's duology for a long time... In fact, I'd previously considered doing a review on "Empress of a Thousand Skies" ever since I read it last year. However, having the publication to the last part of the story so close by with "Blood of a Thousand Stars", I decided to hold my review back.

So, on these two novels, "Empress of a Thousand Skies" and "Blood of a Thousand Stars" we encounter ourselves in a planetary system whose political system is severely delicate at the time of action. War might be about to start due to political forces hidden in the shadows realising a puppet show with the hearts and moral stances of the galaxy. Let's just say: politics are complicated in this system.

Initially, we follow, Rhiannon's story, the future empress amidst the chaos. She was left as the sole heir to the throne after her parents and sister died in a horrible space-ship accident. Now, Rhiannon is about to be crowned when something goes VERY wrong on her trip back to her planet. They're trying to kill her...

I was so nervous to read the second book to this saga because the first one had been such a precious discovery to me that I was slightly terrified to see its conclusion. Perhaps because I was scared I'd be disappointed or perhaps because I just didn't want it to end at all (but desperately needed to know what happened): I decided to wait, so that I could offer you a whole review on this story.

Now that these books have come to an end for me, I'll say this: go ahead and give this story a chance. It, most definitely, deserves more attention than it is currently receiving and I'll explain why right now (keeping it spoiler free, don't worry!).

Firstly, the plot never goes in the direction you have imagined. At least, it never did the way I expected it to go. There are so many twists and turns and discoveries along the way, that you just sit back and enjoy the ride while it lasts (or fall into an extreme panic about it because everything is about to go to taejis half of the time).
Belleza's storytelling ability is truly wonderful and really shines through in these pieces of work. Her structure runs away from any sort of cliché you might have had about fantasy and sci-fi novels. And it is OH-SO REFRESHING.
She also introduces concepts such as the meaning of war and the sense of self, and what it truly means to be human that create a more profound reading of the narrative. I thoroughly recommend having a pencil nearby so you can underline some brilliant lines along the way. Because, although Belleza may not be exactly poetic, she does speak truths like no one.

The second aspect that made me appreciate these books immensely was their characters. In each installment, we get to meet a couple of new characters and, far from becoming your stereotypical tropes, they are interesting new additions to the ensemble. Some characters we love, some we hate (extremely hate, may I just specify). However, both lovely and hateful characters have something in common: they are all beautifully well-constructed.

Also, may I just add a little personal experience? I need someone to tell me it isn't only me that this constantly happens to. So, let me share something with you...
Whenever I admit to myself or to others that I love a certain character, they are destined to die. I mean it! I start liking them and they just die. Always. My brother has even started making jokes about it because I've got it so bad. Seriously. It's like a superpower. But, probably not one anyone would like to have. So, yes, some of my favorites do bite the dust on this series. Oh, well.

Onto more cheerful things...

The setting on these novels is actually insane. The world-building is wonderfully crafted with detail and you are so blown away by the quick instances in which you actually get sprinkles of cultural references, different belief systems, lifestyle in each planet and historical background. Everything is extremely taken care of and helps create a more vibrant universe for the reader. Every culture, belief, historical fact we get appears and leaves frustratingly quick.

Dear Miss Belleza,  with such a wonderful universe, I can only beg of you to create more novels set on this wonderful creation of yours. Or else, it'd be cool to get a guide in a Silmarillion-kind-of-style. I'm sure it isn't just me that thinks this way. I will fight anyone that doesn't. Probably.

To summarize then, I cannot mention one sole aspect I didn't feel surprised by appreciating so dearly. It could be argued that the second novel feels a little slower, but, hey: with everything that goes on when things finally start to roll, you'll be losing sleep just to know what happens next.


PS: here's a little warning. Have tissues close to you while reading the novel at all times, the novel will surprise you with heart-wrenching moments you don't expect coming. You will thank me later for not feeling like such a snotty, puffy-eyed mess as me...


I hope you have a wonderful day!





My hardback copy of "Blood of a Thousand Stars" is Razorbill's 2018 edition.

Comments