"Sleep well, Lady Mariko. You are loved. It isn't enough, but it's all I have."


"Loss had taught her yet another lesson. Real love was more than a moment. It was everything that happened after. Chaos in one instant, simplicity in the next. Everything and nothing in the space of a simple breath."



Disclaimer: this review is completely spoiler-free as long as you've read the first part of this duology. If you want a detailed and spoiler-free review of the first part of the story, I have a review on "Flame in The Mist" here
If you've already read it, be a free, happy elf, my child <3 

On to the review, then.


To the surprise of absolutely no one who has been following me for a while or who talks books with me, I'm back with yet another review for Reneé Ahdhieh's latest novel: "Smoke in The Sun". This is the second and final novel in the "Flame in The Mist" duology and it follows Mariko's story right where we left it at by the end of the last installment: the Black Clan is under threat as Okami, one of their members, has been taken as prisoner by Inako's royal family whilst Mariko has been 'rescued' by her lover's captors and still has her own wedding in schedule. Lots of drama, right? 

Well, to be quite frank, I could and couldn't imagine, at the same time, how this big old mess could be fixed. Everything was so in shambles that I felt frustrated by how imprisoned everyone's situation seemed. And that is why I have to tell you: I really felt how Adhieh is such a master storyteller. She really just gives you what is absolutely necessary for you to be completely gripped by the storyline of the book and nothing more. She just keeps you on your toes in an enthralling but torturous dance of never-knowing what's going to happen. Because, just as you think you know what's going down: you are faced with the inevitability that you don't. You are completely wrong. But, just try to sit back and enjoy this dizzyingly beautiful ride with me.

In a similar manner, all of her brilliant characters are further deepened, explored and exposed in the second part of the story in such a gorgeously creative way. And I mention her characters specifically because it seemed to me, at times, that it is precisely her characters, who are so greatly detailed and real, that help move the plot forward even when it feels like it might start to drag. In slower or less action-based parts of the storyline, Adhieh lets us inside the minds of old characters we already love, and also introduces us into deeper mental discourses of those we haven't had the pleasure to get to know as well yet. 

In "Smoke in the Sun", we, once again, get to experience Adhieh's mastery of world-building and astoundingly thorough descriptions. In contrast with the first novel in which the author effortlessly managed to make us feel at home at the Yukhai forest, the final installment to the duology focuses on creating a strongly evocative experience of what Inako looks and feels like, and more specifically, how its Royal Palace can be conceived. 

Because I always keep (or try to keep) my reviews free of any spoilers, I will just say that if you enjoy a beautifully, poetically-written story about magic, friendship, love and justice that's filled with not only great characters all-round, but also REALLY badass female figures who will infinitely inspire you: this duology might just be up your alley.

I won't waste much more time trying to convince you to just read Adhieh because I already fangirled quite a bit already on my "Flame in the Mist" review. So, without further ado: I'll let you run to your local library and pick up this gem before it starts eating you up inside. 

Seriously: I doubt you'll regret giving this sequel a chance. 


I hope you have a wonderful day!



My copy of "Smoke in The Sun" is the 2018 Hodder & Stoughton Ltd. British Edition. 

Comments