"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality"



"The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson"

Just as Thomas Wentworth Higginson said in the preface to the first series “these verses will seem to the reader like poetry torn up by the roots, with the rain and dew and earth still clinging to them, giving a freshness and a fragrance not otherwise to be conveyed”. 

This book with all her verses truly feels like a gift Emily accidentally left behind her for us to enjoy. She treats so perfectly a diverse variety of themes from death and immortality, to nature and life cycles, as well as love and loss. 

The complete poems swept me away and I struggled to choose favourites because so many of them were so stunning. I cannot ask poetry lovers to give this collection a try: it’s truly worth your time.

I highly encourage you to give it a read since classic female poets have been so unfairly under-read and you might just discover your favourite poem ever. Seriously: it's that good. Don't rob yourself off the opportunity to truly enjoy a marvelous book. Furthermore, I'd venture into saying: if you're a fan of Christina Rossetti or of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's works, Emily Dickinson might just be another gem for you.

I truly hope you can pick this beautiful collection up and enjoy it thoroughly. 

You can get my copy of the book here!

Comments

Popular Posts